Re: [Adonthell-general] Not able to get control of gnome-terminal after

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Not able to get control of gnome-terminal after latest update
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 23:02:15 +0100

2011/1/17 shirish शिरीष <address@hidden>:

> I think it has something to do with the area thing when it goes into
> negative or something.

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of logging when you fall over the edge
of the word. When I try, I can still close the program by pressing
ESC, but there's a bit of a delay that can probably be attributed to
the logging.

> Some other stuff I noticed when it started running.
>
> $ ./worldtest -g ../.. wastesedge
> *** warning: directory '/usr/local/share/adonthell/games//' cannot be
> accessed!
> *** warning: directory '/usr/local/share/adonthell/games/wastesedge/'
> cannot be accessed!

That's okay. It's just looking for data in its builtin game directory.
Nothing is installed there yet, that's why we're using -g to launch
the demo stuff.

> *** configuration::option: No option 'Scale' in section 'Video'!
> *** configuration::option: No option 'Width' in section 'Video'!
> *** configuration::option: No option 'Height' in section 'Video'!

Okay as well. It'll resort to defaults, depending on your desktop
resolution (when running in fullscreen mode), so unless you want to
force a specific resolution and scale factor, these will be missing
from the config file.

>  Couldn't init audio: No available audio device
>  audio::init() failed

Now that somewhat worries me. If you have sound working for other
programs, this shouldn't fail. Might be worth investigating.

> *** info: Set internal view to 640 x 512.
> *** info: Set display size to 640 x 512.
> *** error: flat::get: parameter 'sdl' not available
> *** error: flat::get: parameter 'paths' not available
> *** error: flat::get: parameter 'forced_imp' not available

Just information and errors that aren't fatal.

>    Couldn't open file '../../wastesedge/audio/at-demo-2.ogg': Audio
> device hasn't been opened

Related to the issue above, that audio has not been initialised properly.

> If I do a CRTL+C when the character is alive I get this :-
>
> ^CTraceback (most recent call last):
>  File "../../wastesedge/schedules/map/mapview.py", line 31, in
> focus_on_character
>    def focus_on_character (self, view, char_name):
> KeyboardInterrupt

Might actually vary depending on the time you press CTRL+C. If the
program runs some Python code at that moment, you'll see something
similar to the above.

> Whenever he goes to the edge of the world in either of the cases, some
> kind of loop is there. I wish there was a way to log that and give it
> to you but don't know how.

You could try debugging it using gdb:

In adonthell-build/test, run

    gdb worldtest

Then from the gdb prompt:

    run -g ../../adonthell/test data

Then once you entered the suspected loop, press CTRL-C while the
console window has focus. You should return to the gdb prompt. There
type

   bt

and send me the stack trace. If there's a loop indeed, this should
show where in the code it's hanging.

Kai