[avrdude-dev] CRC check

From: idefixx
Subject: [avrdude-dev] CRC check
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 15:41:46 +1000

Hi guys!

I have now integrated a CRC check of the program memory to one of my projects.
For this I used the Atmel application note 236 (CRC Check of Program Memory).
The project works very fine with the routine provided. But there is one thing
that I would like to improve:
The program consists of two parts. The first part (CRC generation) that
calculates the CRC checksum and stores it in the EEPROM. The second part (CRC
checking) that performs a second CRC computation in order to find out if the
program memory is still okay. The first part is only necessary to be performed
the first time after programming the microcontroller. I was thinking about if
it wouldn't be possible that the AVRdude calculates the CRC checksum and writes
it to a certain position of the EEPROM. Thus, I would be able to save the space
of the first program part. This is also a suggestion in the application note,
which says, that most of the programmers can perform such a CRC generation
task. But I didn't find such an option for the AVRdude program. Does AVRdude
support CRC generation and if not, would it be possible to include this as an
option within one of the following versions?

Regards.
/idefixx