Re: [avrdude-dev] CRC check

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] CRC check
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:35:13 +0200

On Thursday 09 October 2003 17:41, E.Weddington wrote:
> This is also based on the assumption that somehow, sometime
> the FLASH gets corrupted. Has anybody ever experienced this?
>
> Besides, I thought that's what the verify step (after
> programming) is for.

I haven't experienced it with flash, but with good old EPROM. However,
the theory is the same: from time to time an elementary charge
escapes  from the floating gate. So after some time (usually
>10years) bits get lost.

CRC will most likely detect this, at least if the check routine itself
remains unchanged ;-)

/Jan-Hinnerk