Re: [avrdude-dev] CRC check

From: E . Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] CRC check
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:41:03 GMT

Roth wrote:

> > CRC generation of what?
> > What would the CRC be used for?
>
> The way I read it was that it provides a way for a
program to do a CRC
> check of its flash and compare that to a previously
computed value to
> know whether flash had changed (corrupted maybe) or not.
>
> The idea would be that AVRDUDE would compute the checksum
and store
> that in a specified eeprom location.  But the more I
think about it,
> this sound highly application specific and is probably
better done by
> the application itself.  I.e., when the application comes
out of
> reset, it can query the eeprom cells that contain the
checksum or CRC.
> If they are 0xff, it should assume this is a first time
boot, compute
> its checksum or CRC, then store that in EEPROM.  On
successive boots,
> it would just do a comparison.  The only assumption
required is that
> the FLASH is good on the first boot.
>
> -Brian

This is also based on the assumption that somehow, sometime
the FLASH gets corrupted. Has anybody ever experienced this?

Besides, I thought that's what the verify step (after
programming) is for.

Eric