Re: [avrdude-dev] CRC check

From: idefixx
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] CRC check
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 11:34:23 +1000

Let me tell you about the main idea behind my initial question:
As already was metioned the idea of CRC check of the flash program memory is
intended to detect memory failures that appear during the usage of the
microcontroller. As technology is not error-proof such a failure could have
different reasons.
For certain high reliability applications where the appliance is intended not
to be turned off for a long time (maybe several years) it is necessary to not
only check the memory condition during start-up but also during the run (e.g.
in certain time intervals or when the uC is in idle state).
In order to safe program memory for the CRC generation (which is only needed
for the very first start-up after programming the uC) I was thinking about
handling this as an option of the programmer software, as it is also suggested
in the Atmel application note 236.

Regards.
/idefixx