Re: [avrdude-dev] CRC check

From: Jan-Hinnerk Reichert
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] CRC check
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 16:50:14 +0200

On Tuesday 07 October 2003 07:41, idefixx wrote:
> I have now integrated a CRC check of the program memory to one of
> my projects. For this I used the Atmel application note 236 (CRC
> Check of Program Memory). The project works very fine with the
> routine provided.

It is just an example program to demonstrate the technique. There is
much room for improvement.

> I was thinking about if
> it wouldn't be possible that the AVRdude calculates the CRC
> checksum and writes it to a certain position of the EEPROM. Thus, I
> would be able to save the space of the first program part. This is
> also a suggestion in the application note, which says, that most of
> the programmers can perform such a CRC generation task.

I am not 100% sure, if the programmer is the right place to handle
checksum calculation. An alternative would be an extra program that
modifies the object-file. This way the device can be programmed with
any programming software.

It seems like SRecord can do something like this. Even if it is not
capable of doing exactly what you want, it seems a better place to
include such features.

http://srecord.sf.net

It is already part of the WinAVR toolset
http://winavr.sf.net

Please evaluate this tool and let us all know ;-)

/Jan-Hinnerk