Re: [avrdude-dev] CRC check

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] CRC check
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 10:46:27 -0400

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 09:56:21PM -0700, Theodore A. Roth wrote:

> CRC generation of what?
> What would the CRC be used for?

The way I read it was that it provides a way for a program to do a CRC
check of its flash and compare that to a previously computed value to
know whether flash had changed (corrupted maybe) or not.

The idea would be that AVRDUDE would compute the checksum and store
that in a specified eeprom location.  But the more I think about it,
this sound highly application specific and is probably better done by
the application itself.  I.e., when the application comes out of
reset, it can query the eeprom cells that contain the checksum or CRC.
If they are 0xff, it should assume this is a first time boot, compute
its checksum or CRC, then store that in EEPROM.  On successive boots,
it would just do a comparison.  The only assumption required is that
the FLASH is good on the first boot.

-Brian