certi-devel

Re: [certi-dev] FlightGear FOM

From: Martin Spott
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] FlightGear FOM
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 16:01:00 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Petr,

"Gotthard, Petr" wrote:

> As a first step I thus want to focus on a basic interoperability between
> the 3 major flight simulators (FGFS, MS FSX, X-Plane) based on the plain
> RPR/ASN. During this activity we should analyze what details are
> available in different simulators and later suggest the FOM extensions
> that suits all three simulators. This way we may reach the maximal
> interoperability and avoid developing yet another FlightGear
> multiplayer.
>
> Volunteers? ;-)

I'm very much addicted to the idea of getting FlightGear together with
X-Plane and M$FS into a single simulation  environment - last but not
least because this would answer a question we're regularly being asked
whenever the present FlightGear on a public show. So far I'm aware of
the following (commercial) HLA interfaces for X-Plane and MSFS:

X-Plane on Windows: http://www.memention.com/hlaxp/
MSFS: http://www.permian.com.au/products/flight_sim/
MSFS: http://www.acroneng.com/SimX.htm

Acron explicitly state that they're basing on the RPR FOM, Memention
state that they're using their own, Permian doesn't make any public
statement at all.
I neither own a Windows license (just one that runs on my little
netbook) nor do I have a licensed copy of MSFS or X-Plane, I don't even
have a second PeeCee ....  just a little PowerMac which is way to slow
to run any simulation. I might get my hands on this sort of stuff and
try to get the Acron plug-in running, yet I don't know how long it
would take ....

BTW, we're in the process to develop an OpenSource ATC voice
communication system based on Asterisk - just to complete the picture.

We'll see,
        Martin.