certi-devel

Re: [certi-dev] FlightGear FOM

From: Martin Spott
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] FlightGear FOM
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 19:15:31 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Jon,

Jon Stockill wrote:

> Plus Albatross release their radar display software at the end of next
> month - would be nice if that understood HLA too.

We'll see. As far as I understand nobody has so far seen their ATC
display working and they've not been very communicative about the
specs.
We ("The FlightGear Community") already _do_ have a nicely working
OpenSource ATC workplace which is designed to switch different
'frontends' for use with different protocols (FlightGear MultiPlayer,
probably FLARM, maybe even real data according to EUROCONTROL's specs)
and adapting that one to CERTI/VirtualAir ist just a matter of having a
working testbed with FlightGear (which is now available) and at least a
rudimentary Java interface to CERTI.

> The only problem I can think of in linking them all together is ground
> operations, where the scenery may not quite match up.

Indeed, this might pose certain difficulties when visualizing closeup
scenarios, but is pretty much tolerable for long-range and ATC
operations.

Cheerio,
        Martin.
P.S.: For those who don't know, Jon and I are the two maintainers of
      FlightGears 'Scenemodels' repository at:
        http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/models.php