certi-devel

Re: [certi-dev] FlightGear FOM

From: Jon Stockill
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] FlightGear FOM
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 19:12:35 +0100

Martin Spott wrote:
Hi Petr,

"Gotthard, Petr" wrote:

As a first step I thus want to focus on a basic interoperability between
the 3 major flight simulators (FGFS, MS FSX, X-Plane) based on the plain
RPR/ASN. During this activity we should analyze what details are
available in different simulators and later suggest the FOM extensions
that suits all three simulators. This way we may reach the maximal
interoperability and avoid developing yet another FlightGear
multiplayer.

Volunteers? ;-)

I'm very much addicted to the idea of getting FlightGear together with
X-Plane and M$FS into a single simulation  environment - last but not
least because this would answer a question we're regularly being asked
whenever the present FlightGear on a public show. So far I'm aware of
the following (commercial) HLA interfaces for X-Plane and MSFS:

X-Plane on Windows: http://www.memention.com/hlaxp/
MSFS: http://www.permian.com.au/products/flight_sim/
MSFS: http://www.acroneng.com/SimX.htm

Acron explicitly state that they're basing on the RPR FOM, Memention
state that they're using their own, Permian doesn't make any public
statement at all.
I neither own a Windows license (just one that runs on my little
netbook) nor do I have a licensed copy of MSFS or X-Plane, I don't even
have a second PeeCee ....  just a little PowerMac which is way to slow
to run any simulation. I might get my hands on this sort of stuff and
try to get the Acron plug-in running, yet I don't know how long it
would take ....

BTW, we're in the process to develop an OpenSource ATC voice
communication system based on Asterisk - just to complete the picture.

Plus Albatross release their radar display software at the end of next month - would be nice if that understood HLA too.

http://www.albatross.aero

There's no shortage of people willing to test the flightgear HLA code - and I'm sure we could get a list of possibly useful exportable properties together that could be used as a basis for users of other sims to say "ours can do X, Y, Z too, and we can add A, B and C to the list".

The only problem I can think of in linking them all together is ground operations, where the scenery may not quite match up. This shouldn't be a problem (except for small terrain height differences) between flightgear and x-plane since they use the same airport database. I've got no idea about MSFS though.

Jon