certi-devel

Re: [certi-dev] FlightGear FOM

From: Eric Noulard
Subject: Re: [certi-dev] FlightGear FOM
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 21:54:57 +0200

2009/5/25 Martin Spott <address@hidden>:
> Hi Jon,
>
> Jon Stockill wrote:
>
>> Plus Albatross release their radar display software at the end of next
>> month - would be nice if that understood HLA too.
>
> We'll see. As far as I understand nobody has so far seen their ATC
> display working and they've not been very communicative about the
> specs.
> We ("The FlightGear Community") already _do_ have a nicely working
> OpenSource ATC workplace which is designed to switch different
> 'frontends' for use with different protocols (FlightGear MultiPlayer,
> probably FLARM, maybe even real data according to EUROCONTROL's specs)
> and adapting that one to CERTI/VirtualAir ist just a matter of having a
> working testbed with FlightGear (which is now available) and at least a
> rudimentary Java interface to CERTI.

Adding a Java HLA binding to CERTI has been asked several times.
The fact is we have some beginning work on this subject:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6905
but it is not near the end. It was a student intnership which was not long
enough to put the task till the end.

May I ask why you need Java interface to CERTI ?
Do you want to have an HLA Federate which is 100% Java?

Would  a Portico/CERTI bridge be enough? (see http://www.porticoproject.org/)
Or do you really need "native" CERTI in Java?

>> The only problem I can think of in linking them all together is ground
>> operations, where the scenery may not quite match up.
>
> Indeed, this might pose certain difficulties when visualizing closeup
> scenarios, but is pretty much tolerable for long-range and ATC
> operations.

I see.

> P.S.: For those who don't know, Jon and I are the two maintainers of
>      FlightGears 'Scenemodels' repository at:
>        http://scenemodels.flightgear.org/models.php

Nice to meet you two :-)

--
Erk