Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth 'support' for GNUstep

From: Fabien VALLON
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth 'support' for GNUstep
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 23:34:04 +0200

Alex Perez (aperez@student.santarosa.edu) a écrit:
> > Dirk Theisen (d.theisen@gmx.net) a écrit:
> >> Hi!

> >> devices.

> *groan* Do we have to???
> >>
> >> I never liked Configure.app and I think Apple is on the right track
> >> with just having Preferences.app where some panes need the admin
> >> password to apply changes. Maybe they could be grouped by user and
> >> computer settings? Maybe using a TabView?
> >
> > I don't think so.
> > This is not the Unix Design.

> Are you designing for "Unix users" (whatever that is...)
No for Unix system.
In Unix root have special acess.
I don't want to lie to users

>or unix GEEKS,
where is the geeky thing here ?

> who are expected to memorize the location of every preference/configure
> panel?

I preferes memorize
Configure == hardware
Preferences == user
than see that
http://www.gnuskole.dk/fundanemt/site_graphics/fundaWeb/kontrolcenter-da.png

> > On MacOSX you don't have a lot of device and a lot of MacoS classic
> > users :)
> You also have one place to go for stuff. There's a reason for that, and I
> think it's fairly apparent if you take a commen-sense look at why it's
> done that way.

MacOS Classic does not have special account like root

> > On Unix like Linux it is quite different.
> Needless complication just for the sake of it? You're a "splitter", it seems.
> > One app should do the right thing.
> > Preferences == users with no special access
> > Configure   == hardware with special access for special configuration
> > HostManager == Network with special acces for special configuration
> >
> > All in an App is confusing (and lies) (it does not reflect what *nix is)
> Once again, is "reflecting what UNIX is?" the ONLY thing GNUstep is about?

no

> I know it's *a* factor, but is it *the only* factor?
yes you understood, it is a factor

> > , bloating and harder to use + some security stuff.
> Can you elaborate here? Are you referring to the lock/unlock concept apple
> introduced in some OS X preferences panels?

create a Mockup with a lot of device and preferences in a MOSX style and you'll
see
you'll loose consistency.

Fabien