Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth 'support' for GNUstep

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth 'support' for GNUstep
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 22:12:42 -0000

On 2003-05-13 21:00:01 +0000 Alex Perez <aperez@student.santarosa.edu> wrote:

Are you designing for "Unix users" (whatever that is...) or unix GEEKS,
who are expected to memorize the location of every preference/configure
panel?
On MacOSX you don't have a lot of device and a lot of MacoS classic
users :)
You also have one place to go for stuff. There's a reason for that, and I
think it's fairly apparent if you take a commen-sense look at why it's
done that way.

Well one obvious solution is simply to have a *folder* containing all
the applications which configure things ;-) (ie apps-specific config such
an Apache config tool, Preferences.app, Configure.app, etc.)
I'll prefers to have clean separated applications than a cluttered all-in-one
application ... It's kinda like /NextAdmin :
http://www.levenez.com/NeXTSTEP/NextAdmin.html

All in an App is confusing (and lies) (it does not reflect what *nix is)
Once again, is "reflecting what UNIX is?" the ONLY thing GNUstep is about?
I know it's *a* factor, but is it *the only* factor?

It's one of the most important factor ! the difference of (a desktop) GNUstep
is that's a graphical environment, yet it follows the Unix way of life ...
If GNUstep isn't that, well we should just drop gnustep and
perhaps use ObjC bindings with KDE/GNOME ...

--
Nicolas Roard