Preferences.app vs Configure.app; was Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth 'supp

From: Björn Giesler
Subject: Preferences.app vs Configure.app; was Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth 'support' for GNUstep
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:07:12 +0200

Hi,

first of all, to make my statement from the GNUtooth perspective: Bluetooth
device configuration, as I see it, is sort of in the middle between
per-system and per-user configuration. Note: By "device" I don't mean the
little Bluetooth dongle but rather the other Bluetooth devices that the
system talks to.

There are a couple of Bluetooth device classes, the most important for me
personally right now are PDAs and mobile phones, which I'd like to be able
to synchronize with my Linux box. Settings such as "every time this device
is discovered, run the synchronize application with my calendar" or "let
this device transfer files to that folder in my home without asking" are
of a kind that I'd like to do as a user; I don't want to bother my
sysadmin about that. These clearly belong into Preferences.app the way it
is now.

Stuff like "allow this device to print / fax with that printer / fax
connected to my machine" is more in the sysadmin category, I agree. Still,
Configure.app as it used to be on NeXTStep is not the right place for that
configuration either. I think I'd prefer a GNUtoothServer running as root
that handles all requests. About the configuration frontends I'm still
thinking.

Now, about the basic discussion, I have two points to make. First, when
using MacOS X, I find it extremely refreshing from a
user-and-parttime-sysadmin perspective to be able to change to root *right
in Preferences.app*; I hate logging out and on again or doing the "xterm;
xhost +localhost; sudo openapp whatever.app" orgy. I think Apple is right
on track there.

Second, I do think that GNUstep is and should be keeping with the Unix
spirit of things, but for me, the Unix spirit is the KISS approach of
having several small tools that do one job well. For me, the Unix spirit
is not "you can't do that, su to root".

So in a nutshell, yes, I'm in favor of the MacOS X approach where some
settings can only be changed by root, but you can change them by just
clicking that little lock on the bottom and entering the root password.

Just my .04 Deutschmarks. ;-)

Regards,
                --Björn