Re: Preferences.app vs Configure.app; was Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth

From: Dirk Theisen
Subject: Re: Preferences.app vs Configure.app; was Re: ANN: GNUtooth, Bluetooth 'support' for GNUstep
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 06:47:36 +0000

Hi, Jeff!

(testing for root in a prefpane)

if (geteuid () != 0) {
        DESTROY (self);
        return nil;
}

I think it would be better to test for the individual access right necessary (e.g. write access to certain files). This way you can set up different admin groups for specific tasks and add people to it. Those people will not need a different account to make their "privileged" adjustments to the system.

IIRC there is also a sudoers group on some unix systems. This could also be used (in conjunction with an OpenSesame clone?) to upgrade the access rights without a re-login.

Just thoughts...

Configure is for configuring system hardware, stuff that requires a
reboot to take effect. I've done some experiments with it, but that's
all, and it'd necessarily be very system-dependant.

(Sorry for plugging Apple again!) In OS X, there is nothing I can think of that needs a reboot to take effect (apart from setting the boot volume, maybe). This is state of the art which should be considered.

Greetings,
   Dirk