Re: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions

From: Sean McBride
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 09:32:39 -0400

On 2005-09-15 12:11, address@hidden said:

>Finally I've finished benchmark testing of
>"Resolving QuickDraw FontName by ATS, without QuickDraw API".
>The result is summarized at:
>
>       http://www.gyve.org/~mpsuzuki/ats_benchmark.html

toshiya san,

I see you have done a lot of hard work!  I wish I knew more about fonts
and font APIs to help you, but I am clueless about these things.
However, the Mac programming community helps each other on several
mailing lists, and I do suggest you join these two:

You can ask QuickDraw/font/ATS questions on the carbon-dev list, and
people will definitely help you.

>In fact, in comparison with original QuickDraw API,
>it will be 20 times slower on Panther (Mac OS X 10.3),
>and 500 times slower on Cheetar (Mac OS X 10.0).

I wouldn't worry about 10.0, nobody uses it.  Anyone that has 10.0 can
upgrade to 10.1.5 for free.  (It's "Cheetah" BTW)

>Fix A:
>       FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name() is kept for QuickDraw.
>       Add FT_GetFile_From_ATS_Name() for ATS.
>       To avoid "XXX is deprecated" warning,
>       FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name() should be excluded in building.
>
>Fix B:
>       Change the behaviour of FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name()
>       as system-dependent. If configured for ATS only,
>       it will be incompatible with QuickDraw configuration.

Well, I don't even use freetype (except via vtk) so I'm not sure my
opinion is important, but I think A sounds better.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 address@hidden