Re: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:54:57 +0900

Dear Sirs,

Status for Tiger's API deprecation issue:
My working source is available from GNU arch archive from

        archive name: address@hidden
        project: freetype2--mps-macos--0.1

George Williams sent me his patch skelton to replace
FSSpec by FSRef, it's slightly fixed and applied in
the working tree. Now I'm working for replacement of
FontManager by AppleTypeService, used in FT_GetFile_From_Mac_Name().

The function resolves "abstract" fontname recognized by system
to "concrete" file, but the resolved result is returned by
obsolete FSSpec structure. ATS provides the replacements for
the most functions of FontManager, by 1:1 corresponding functions.
But FontManager does not provide function to return font file
by FSRef structure, and ATS does not either. In fact, there's
no ATS function to find font file for a given font name,
except of ATSFontGetFileSpecification(). I'm afraid it will be
deprecated in future.

However, I've already written sample programs to resolve
font name -> font file by ATS functions and FSRef data.
They are available from GNU arch in above,

        project: carbon-sample--mps--0.0

Yet I've not checked other APIs,
I suppose ATS is designed to hide "concrete" font data, and
I should search other API to find "concrete" font data.
Any suggestions?

Regards,
mpsuzuki