Re: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype on Mac uses deprecated functions
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 10:02:04 +0900

Dear Sirs,

First of all, Great Thanks to people giving helpful informations
of Macintosh issues: Sean McBride, George Williams, Tom Bishop,
Christian Demmer, David Turner and Werner LEMBERG.

I've written a diagram of function-calling-tree of related
functions in ftmac.c.

        http://www.gyve.org/~mpsuzuki/ftmac_c.txt

As Sean McBride cited 2 Apple documents, the deprecation issue
consists of 2 function groups: FileManager and FontManager.
I think fixes can be done separately.

For first, I will try fix the problem of FileManager issue.

--

According to Apple TechNotes TN2078, it seems that replacement
of FSSpecXXX() by FSRefXXX() is not sufficient of the deprecation

At present, ftmac.c provides a public function to open new face
from given "FSSpec":  FT_New_Face_From_FSSpec(). Thus, complete
cleasing "FSSpec" will cause API incompatibility.
Some configuration option to build without FSSpec might be expected
(and it is expected to be switched off by default, until the day
Apple removes FSSpecXXX() completely).

# I don't know PBMakeFSSpecSync() is deprecated in Tiger.
# If there are some undeprecated functions handling FSSpec,
# it is possible to provide FT_New_Face_From_FSSpec() without
# compiler warning of deprecation. However, PBMakeFSSpecSync()
# is not easy to use, for me.

In addition, from the viewpoint of application programmers,
something like FT_New_Face_From_FSRef() is expected to replace
"FSSpec" in their applications.

Any suggestion about the deprecation of "FSSpec"?

Regards,
mpsuzuki