Re: [glob2-devel] Forbidden flags - gameplay suggestions

From: Gabriel Walt
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Forbidden flags - gameplay suggestions
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 04:46:45 +0200

I think we can do this later (after v1.0)

Yes, of course. For now [v1.0] what we need most is:
- more stability [it's already getting much much better]
- less cpu usage [this is also getting better]
- a windows build that has less bugs [double buffering, AInumbi crashes, settings that are saved] - better interface - I do not mean the in game interface, but the different options screens [the settings not always available, better alliances menu, etc]
- graphic package system for making more custom stuff
- a better script that allows cool campaigns and alternative gameplays
- a better website with game-site communication [for maps, yog stats, etc], eheheh... coming very soon!

Everything else is science-fiction! This does not mean we shouldn't talk about it, but we shouldn't suggest it for a fast integration. So for such ideas we should make some kind of suggestion pool [for eg in the wiki], where people could write down cool ideas by documenting them very well. So if one day some programmer has some time and motivation, he can implement one of these ideas without having to think about how it should work.

Some other thinks we should worry is managing the defense. We have nothink for defense, and the buildings are week. ONe solution is making buildings stronger but it will make the game more like the old games.

Ok your huge description is cool. I didn't get every detail, I should re-read it and/or you should clarify.

BUT: The aim of glob2 is not to be war-centered! War should exist, but the fact that it is so important is more a misconception than a wanted feature. That's why the fruits that give comfort to your inns were introduced. Like that if you share the vision of your inns with the enemy, his units may switch and come to your inns. In the same idea, the prestige were introduced allowing you to win if you have many level 3 schools.

I think the gameplay improvements should be made for these alternative strategies that deserve a better tuning. Also, we should first make a wiki section where we try to identify the problems of the actual gameplay, like:

- problem: surprise attacks [eg by cutting a new access way through resources] are too hard to stop. * suggestion: make defense structure that cover a big surface, like the solution you suggested. or an easier solution would be to make the defense towers cheaper and/or stronger. but this isn't yet a perfect solution, because already now with 6 level3 towers, you create a structure that is nearly impossible to destroy, even with 20 max level warriors... so if they get even cheaper, you'll be able to make indestructible places!

- problem: it is also too hard to stop an enemy cutting down all your resources. * suggestion: you said that resources that were cut down should grow again faster and from nowhere [no adjacent resources needed], I like that idea very much!

- problem: prestige limit is too hard to reach, and not very interesting.
* suggestion: prestige buildings should be much easier to build, but also much easier to break. they should even make you somehow weaker. one idea could be that they are shown to the enemy, he can see the level3 school as well as a big area around it [5 to 10 units].

- problem: you have hardly a feedback about the units you converted with you inns, that makes this strategy not very interesting too even if it's probably very efficient. * suggestion: there should be a counter of how many units you lost or won for each player in the game. a counter is just a number for each player showing how many units you lost or won for each of your opponents since the beginning of the game. perhaps there's a nicer way to show that visually than a few numbers in a corner of your screen... ? * suggestion: this counter should also be shown in the graph at the end of a game.

Gabriel.sleep(_NOW_);