Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language

From: Stephane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] scripting language
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 11:19:33 +0200

Hi,

> Little thought about scripting. If speed is an issue, and language also:
> Why dont we simply design a C++ framework ?
>
>  From the point of view of the script, Glob2 could the be seen as a
> library, and the script compiled with gcc.
> The compiled script can then be dynamically loaded at runtime.
> Serialisation of objects is possible, so the state can be saved/
> restored ...

That would require either having a gcc on each glob2 installation, or
compiling for each plateform where glob2 can run. Furthermore, c++ is unsafe,
it is easy to install backdoors on user computer using it. Of course, we
could add some check but then all this seems a lot of work.

> Since my idea of having a very easy understandable scripting language
> seems to be abandoned anyway ...

No it is not. I think that the user-friendlyness of the script lies in the API

Steph