Re: hidden forbidden areas for buildings (was: [glob2-devel] Rewrite and

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: hidden forbidden areas for buildings (was: [glob2-devel] Rewrite and disappearance syndrom)
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:17:37 +0200

> > Now when units are built or released from a building we iterate over
> > the border of that building to release them.
> > Why not simply check if the center of the building is occupied and
> > if not put it there?
>
> So you would allow workers and warriors to walk on top of existing
> buildings?
>
> > Maybe even put globs on top of others.
>
> You would even allow workers and warriors to walk on top of other
> workers and warriors?

Simple answer: no. The idea was to put buildings and units on top of units and
let the resulting forbidden areas do the rest. units that were healed would get
placed under the hospital and would then try to exit the hospital's forbidden
area. buildings would get upgraded and globs would try to leave the resulting
forbidden area maybe by violating rule "buildings are solid" but in my eyes
that would be very ok compared to what we have now.

Detailed answer: if units and buildings had the same kind of forbidden area
like the ones you can paint, you could make units walk through buildings and
units by trapping them against the building. funny cheat to warp through enemy
walls :)
also by trapping a group of units they would start to walk onto each other at
the point they fill in the complete hole in the forbidden area.

Greetings, Leo Wandersleb