Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:18:54 -0700

On Oct 18, 2004, at 11:18, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

Because if it's off-limits, it shouldn't be visible to the point of
matching my globs when I'm trying to look through my source tree.

Precisely why you shouldn't be globbing from the shell when using tla.
That's what 'tla inventory' is for,

That's unreasonable and only answers half of the problem. So I'll break it into two:

1) I can do things with find I can't do with inventory. I don't understand how to use inventory, for that matter, and I shouldn't have to just because I'm using this particular system. It's ridiculous to require people to change the way they development at that level just because {arch} matches * and contains a bunch of stuff that return stuff against my greps/tags/misc tools.

2) Claiming a directory is off limits and the user shouldn't worry about it, and then naming it DO_NOT_ENTER is just silly. There's a mechanism that exists in UNIX already for communicating to a user and his tools that a directory should be ignored.

--
Dustin Sallings