Re: software distribution criteria

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: software distribution criteria
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 16:42:46 +0100

Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > gNewSense doesn't refuse to advertise Multiverse.  That's why it is
> > easy to find out how to use them.  Unless something has changed, a
> > simple question in any of the project discussion channels will get the
> > instructions.  By "pretending that it doesn't exist" I mean not
> > mentioning the existance on the project web site.  That's being silly.
>
> What a guy can write you at an IRC discussion channel is not an 'official'
> position of a project.

Well, in the strictest sense, I guess 'official' positions of
gNewSense are the positions of the two project members, Brian Brazil
and Paul O'Malley.  They both have discussed Multiverse's use with
gNewSense on IRC and mailing lists, like in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-users/2006-11/msg00195.html
but I grant you, I have no recording of either actually explaining how
to add it to your sources.list.

Then again, they don't need to, because there are many others who will.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Repositories/CommandLine
probably works just as well for gNewSense.  In short, there is a
well-known ready-to-use repository of non-free programs out there for
gNewSense.  We'd prefer people didn't use it, but it doesn't make
sense to pretend it doesn't exist.

One of the ideas suggested during the last debian vote about removing
non-free from the mirror system was to split everything between
debian.org and some not-owned-by-the-project non-free.org.  If that
happened, would more FS supporters endorse debian?  Would debian get
an unqualified "Free" on Davi's list?  If not, what's the difference
between splitting debian.org and non-free.org and the current split
between gnewsense.org and ubuntu.com?

Regards,