Re: Prefix for subject line of list postings

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: Prefix for subject line of list postings
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:34:28 +0930

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 16:41 +0200, Frouin Jean-Michel wrote:
> It's right, but with topic like : [Pkg-isocodes-devel] or [gnu.org
> #333440] you need to read mail to know which sent it.
>
> My problem, is that I had subscribe to many ML

You should use apropriate filters to deal with it - filter on List-Id.

> Some use [] to display its name (savannah-hacker*, april ...) and
> other don't (gnuhers, debian-devel, debian-devel-fr ..)
> So it's hard to know if it's an important mail (from gnuherds) or a
> less important mail (debian-devel) since I am not a DD.

sooo, take an example where pkg-isocodes-devel is forwarded to
gnewsense-users, then to gnuherds-devel.

FWD: [gnuhurds-devel] FWD: [gnewsense-users] RE: [Pkg-isocodes-devel]

Thats 70 characters *before* you get to see the subject - remember some
people are viewing their mail in an 80 character wide shell (!)

> Maybe we can find a solution ? like adding [GH] ? for GnuHerds :)
> And for important subject : [GH service] which take less space than
> [GNU Herds service]
>
> If not I still have solution to add a filter which put gnuherds mail
> in a separate folder ... or a tag on gmail.

Filtering in th client is the solution, not uglifying the subject more
then it has to be :)

kk

--
Karl Goetz <address@hidden>