Re: Prefix for subject line of list postings

From: Frouin Jean-Michel
Subject: Re: Prefix for subject line of list postings
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:41:54 +0200

It's right, but with topic like : [Pkg-isocodes-devel] or [gnu.org #333440] you need to read mail to know which sent it.

My problem, is that I had subscribe to many ML

Some use [] to display its name (savannah-hacker*, april ...) and other don't (gnuhers, debian-devel, debian-devel-fr ..)
So it's hard to know if it's an important mail (from gnuherds) or a less important mail (debian-devel) since I am not a DD.

Maybe we can find a solution ? like adding [GH] ? for GnuHerds :)
And for important subject : [GH service] which take less space than [GNU Herds service]

If not I still have solution to add a filter which put gnuherds mail in a separate folder ... or a tag on gmail.

It was just a suggestion :)
Regards,

2007/10/11, Davi Leal <address@hidden>:
Frouin Jean-Michel wrote:
> do you think if it is possible to add something like: [GNU HERDS]
> in front of all Subject ? Like others ML did ?

It is possible using the below option of the HTTP administration interface of
the MailMan mailing list:

     * Prefix for subject line of list postings

However, it was decided some time ago that we should reserve the [] 'flag' to
things more important than an email list prefix.  Sometimes we add [] to the
subject by hand to highlight something:

[GNU Herds service]: Set of options: _javascript_ (yes/no), AJAX, CLI

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-04/msg00083.html

[Roadmap -> Hackers' Guide] [e-Voting -> FAQ]

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-04/msg00190.html

[task]: Remove the _javascript_ requirement -- screenshots

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-07/msg00003.html

[Add to FAQ]: Making the Association aims more clear -- proposal

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-09/msg00003.html

Besides, from time to time our email list get emails which from others list
which use the [] prefix.  Adding another prefix at our email list do not
help. It just overload the subject line even more.

[gnu.org #333440] webapp: ( "Affero GPL v1" --> "GPL v3" ) + "MIT ...

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-04/msg00070.html

[Pkg-isocodes-devel] iso-codes merging using trying to use ...

     http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnuherds-app-dev/2007-04/msg00165.html

I personally think adding a prefix does not help. It is not needed to filter
the list emails, etc.

Let me know your rationale if you think such decision was wrong.

Davi

--
Développeur C++/GNU-Linux