Re: GNU Herds <table>less layout --- Help wanted

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: GNU Herds <table>less layout --- Help wanted
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:42:29 +0200

Antenore Gatta wrote:
> Now the resize works better, there is just a small problem with
> paddings and margins in the content part (after resize).

IMHO, there are more problems.

> The index.htm it's not completely valid because of "ID 'LISTMENU'

You can not use the same id=<value>, with the same <value>,  more than once.
You can use 'class' instead of 'id' in such cases.

You can not use 'id' here due to you have a menu list. You can not repeat
the 'id' value more than one time.

The attached 'index.html' passes the W3C validator. You should do a "diff" to
note what has been changed.

  http://validator.w3.org/

  http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/

> Any comment? Do you like it at least a little bit? :-)

Yes, it looks better than the previous one. We must follow working slowly by
surely to get the final solution.

> Let me know any idea and/or improvements.

The main problem with this and previous <div> proposals is that a big font
breaks the look & feel.  The menu and log-in box overlap with the content
area!  So it breaks the webapp, and project 'image' too.

We do not have to copy the look & feel of the current <table> layout. However,
before uploading it to the production environment, we should a solution what
works and looks as the <table> based one or better.

Other comments:

1. The content area is right-aligned. It should be aligned at the
   menu and log-in box's side not at the right side of the browser
   window.

2. The content area should have a maximum-width, as the current one at
   production.

3. At the heading, the text "Free Software Association" is located
   at the top. It should be vertically centered, more or less, as
   the one at production.

4. I am not sure if the location of the language-selection-feature
   is better than the current one at production, due to it forces
   to add a row.  Such row:
         3.1. gets area which would be better used with the
              content and menu <div>s.
         3.2. The dark color of such row produce a worst look & feel.

5. The footer does not look rightly. Previous proposals looked better.

?. ... maybe others tips.

The main problem is the content-menu-log-in area overlap. It should be fixed
first than any other problem.

It is just my _current_ personal opinion,
Davi

GNU Herds is a not-for-profit true-democratic association which aims to assist and encourage people in their paid work as Free Software authors, getting the highest levels of competence and efficiency.

The first step has been to develop the Job Site modules and gather together several business models. Some of the JobSite's features are:

  • Controlled by its own users
  • FS skills data base
  • Telework

Other modules could be developed. Send an email with your proposal to the gnuherds-app-dev email list. The next steps can be on your side. However, one of those steps has been already proposed: the FSF could grant some certifications. This web application is already ready to support certifications, though such support is now disabled.

  • GNU Business Network certification

This project has been put together by a small team of members of the Free Software community.

For more information: address@hidden