Re: Academic qualification level

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Academic qualification level
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 14:16:57 +0100

I propose fix the current wrong English classification, and fit and adjust the
other translations.  The modification could be:

  OLD:                 NEW:
  new-level      -->   0. Secondary School diploma
  Undergraduate  -->   1. Enrolled at a University (Undergraduate)
  Graduate       -->   2. Bachelor's degree (1st University cycle)
  Postgraduate   -->   3. Master's degree   (2nd University cycle)
  Doctoral       -->   4. Doctoral degree   (3rd University cycle)
  Other          -->   *. Other

      Ref.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bologna_process#Framework

Please, expose any improvement or disagreement.

Antenore Gatta wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
> > Also on that page: "The UK is almost unique in that graduates with a
> > Bachelor's (Honours) degree can undertake doctoral studies without
> > first having to obtain a Master's degree" which is what I did (but
> > didn't complete successfully) and I think it's pretty usual if someone
> > has first-class honours in a similar subject as a doctorate.

> I don't know honestly... But for sure we cannot cover all the cases and
> aspects of the world education system

MJ, you could note it in the new "short comment or description" field. (See
below).

> > Why are we emphasising certifications from academies over
> > certifications from each other?  Can we harness advogato's trust
> > metric work here?

> * Skills vs Education
>
> If you have or not a doctorate/master/diploma it doesn't make you an
> Hacker/Developer/Admin.
> You can get skills through studies (any), courses, special schools (not
> recognized by the law)  or thanks to your aptitudes.

I agree with you Antenore, about this point.

> * Trusting or Not
>
> We shouldn't act as approver  of the education's path followed by any
> entity. It is the Company that is looking for someone that will check that
> such  education's path is in line with their expectations.

IMHO, trust rankings, web of truth, survey of trust and reputation, etc., are
something fun, but IMHO it is not an objective data which should be taken
into account by an employer. It could be even misleading.

Instead, you could, at the "FS projects" qualifications section,
  "add URIs to the work you have contributed to public Free Software
   projects. It is good practice add more than just the project's URI,
   adding too URIs to some of your best commits, or email discussion
   threads where you expose your knowledge, rationales, feedback, etc."

To note it to the user I have added, but not committed yet, the above text to
the production webapp.  Please, expose any improvement or disagreement.

IMHO academic levels are only an orientation metric. The key metrics are years
of experience with each skill, URIs to source code, etc. That is the actual
work, and its quality can be easily checked just taking a look at the
patches, the wrotten emails, quality of the service the sysadmin administer,
etc.

A Google search on patterns related to the information exposed at such URIs
can expose more references, more projects where the guy has worked, etc.
Google and others search engines are recording our life. Search engines are
external tools being already used by HH.RR.

As Antenore exposes, HH.RR. evaluators can 'compute' their own metric
combining all the information the webapp and the external tools supply,
applying their own criteria.

> So, maybe it would be better to have an open field where the applicant
> could insert one or more (more of course) schools, courses or whatever.

Great idea!  What about moving the "Academic qualification" information out of
the "Profiles" section, and add a new qualifications section, specific for
the academic information?

Such new section could be similar to the Language, Skills and FS projects,
where the user can fill a item list. The fields to fill could be:

 * Academic Qualification level (A combo-box with the list exposed above).
 * Academic Qualification title.
 * University or education institution where it was got/granted.
 * URI of such University or education institution.
 * Short comment or description.

Please, expose any improvement or disagreement.

P.S.: Antenore will be back on-line at Monday.