Re: Academic qualification level

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Academic qualification level
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2008 10:27:33 +0000

Davi Leal <address@hidden> wrote:
>   new-level      -->   0. Secondary School diploma

diploma/certificate(s) perhaps?  I think we still have subject-based
General Certificate of Secondary Education in UK.

> Antenore Gatta wrote:
> > * Trusting or Not
> >
> > We shouldn't act as approver  of the education's path followed by any
> > entity. It is the Company that is looking for someone that will check that
> > such  education's path is in line with their expectations.
>
> IMHO, trust rankings, web of truth, survey of trust and reputation, etc., are
> something fun, but IMHO it is not an objective data which should be taken
> into account by an employer. It could be even misleading.

I disagree strongly with that suggestion.  Employers already take into
account a more limited form of such information, in the form of
referee statements.  Usually this happens as a final step in the
engagement process, as a current employer may be one of the referees
and so it notifies them that a worker may be leaving.

In my experience, especially in software-related fields, academic
certificates are more often misleading than referees.  Demonstrable
experience and collaborator opinion are much more reliable.  Skills
and projects should be far higher up the resume than certificates.

However, one has to guard against coordinated sabotage of two types:
pseudo-collaborators who make insincere statements of support (sock
puppets?); and organised groups of detractors (trolls?).  I'm not sure
of the best way to do that.

> Instead, you could, at the "FS projects" qualifications section,
>   "add URIs to the work you have contributed to public Free Software
>    projects. It is good practice add more than just the project's URI,
>    adding too URIs to some of your best commits, or email discussion
>    threads where you expose your knowledge, rationales, feedback, etc."
>
> To note it to the user I have added, but not committed yet, the above text to
> the production webapp.  Please, expose any improvement or disagreement.

This is a good idea.

[...]
> Great idea!  What about moving the "Academic qualification" information out
> of
> the "Profiles" section, and add a new qualifications section, specific for
> the academic information?

I think there should be less emphasis on academic information, rather
than an expansion.

Regards,