Re: What kinds of bindings are to be included

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: What kinds of bindings are to be included
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:40:16 +0200

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Andreas Rottmann wrote:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > guile-gobject (which we can change soon to guile-gtk, no?).
> >
> I don't know if we shouldn't go rather for guile-gnome...

Gah, let's settle this! All I know is that guile-gobject is a poor name
for the entire source package.

Advantages of guile-gnome:
 * More descriptive
 * Accurately reflects the module namespace

Advantages of guile-gtk:
 * http://www.gnu.org/software/guile-gtk/
 * CVS root has guile-gtk in it
 * Evokes the idea that our code supersedes with old guile-gtk-1.2
 * Something to do with the project name in the copyright database

I think these were all the arguments we came up with. And before someone
mentions it, I don't care about the "I don't like being associated with
Gnome" argument. For the record :)

So to summarize, guile-gnome is more accurate but guile-gtk has strong
historical / inertia considerations. I don't care so much which name we
use, but we need to decide and switch soon. I don't mind leaving this
decision to Marius either. So speak up, interested parties, or one day
I'll just commit a name change ;)

Speaking of commits: I would like to have a guile-gtk-commits list. I
can do the CVSROOT stuff if we could get the list made. Would you mind
doing that, Marius?

Jesus, multiple ideas in one mail: This is the first project I've been
ChangeLogging on (GStreamer just uses CVS logs). However, the profusion
of ChangeLogs makes it difficult to see what changes in the whole
distro. Andreas, would you mind if we combined them all to one top-level
ChangeLog?

Regards,

wingo.