Re: Old messages missing on the present newsgroup

From: David Z Maze
Subject: Re: Old messages missing on the present newsgroup
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 11:24:41 -0400

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> Some old messages sent to the present newsgroup
> are not accessible, it seems, if I search for them via
> nntp server, whereas they're seen through web interface
> and also in the archives of the info-gnus-english@gnu.org mailing list.
> How come?

Because even just "current" news is a huge disk space and bandwidth
consumer, so it's standard practice for news servers to only keep
around a small amount of recent history (maybe the past month) and
expire articles beyond that.  If you have infinite disk space and
bandwidth than it's reasonable to archive all of Usenet (hi, Google
Groups); if you're only archiving a specific group than the
requirements become much more reasonable.

I know you can use Gnus to preserve specific articles, and you can
probably combine an nntp group and a Web archive for historical
purposes, but I don't know details on either off hand.

> Maybe there are some other nntp servers to read the present newsgroup,
> besides news.gmane.org and news.gnus.org?

gnu.emacs.gnus is "a normal Usenet group" (in a way that gmane groups
generally aren't) and so any Usenet server that carries the gnu.*
hierarchy would have it.  (I'm reading on news.mit.edu, but you
generally need to be inside MIT's network to use it.)

  --dzm