Re: Problems with `nnweb' mode

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Problems with `nnweb' mode
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 01:19:29 +0200

Andreas Seltenreich <seltenreich@gmx.de> writes:

Hi Andreas,

> It should work again for both google and gmane in the upcoming
> releases. The current version of No Gnus from CVS works for
> me. Although, there might still be some value/version combination of
> mm-url-program which wasn't tested yet.

I've seen your patch at <871wwdb5ew.fsf@gate450.dyndns.org> and couldn't
believe this was the fix for this problem, because the urls defined in
nnweb.el are completely different than the urls you see when searching
at groups.google.com in a browser. But maybe there are multiple
possibilities.

I updated my NoGnus CVS copy, but Gnus still fetches only empty
messages.

To get a little more concrete: I tried fetching the message

     <419g22duprrhohcfaf84srcl0bdrljsjnl@4ax.com>

by pressing RET on this message-id. *Messages* says:

,----[ *Messages* ]
| Opening nnweb server on google...done
| No matching articles
| No such article (may have expired or been canceled)
`----

Now I browse groups.google.com and enter the message-id in the search
field, and google finds the article. The search-string visible in my
browser's address bar is

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+<escaped-message-id>

If I type in the url defined in nnweb.el (id) into my browser and
replace "%s" with the (escaped) message-id, the result page states:

    "The requested message,
    <419g22duprrhohcfaf84srcl0bdrljsjnl@4ax.com>, could not be found."

Here are some infos about my system.

With wget (1.10.2) it does not work.

,----[ C-h v mm-url-program RET ]
| mm-url-program is a variable defined in `mm-url.el'.
| Its value is wget
|
| Documentation:
| The url grab program.
| Likely values are `wget', `w3m', `lynx' and `curl'.
`----

I tested this, too. (Doesn't work, w3m-0.5.1, emacs-w3m-1.4.4)

,----[ C-h v mm-url-program RET ]
| mm-url-program is a variable defined in `mm-url.el'.
| Its value is "w3m"
`----

This doesn't work, too. (curl-7.15.3)

,----[ C-h v mm-url-program RET ]
| mm-url-program is a variable defined in `mm-url.el'.
| Its value is "curl"
`----

And this last one fetches only empty articles, too. (lynx-2.8.5)

`----

,----[ C-h v gnus-refer-article-method RET ]
| gnus-refer-article-method is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is shown below.
|
| Value:
| (current
|  (nntp "newshost.uni-koblenz.de")
|  (nntp "news.gmane.org")
|  (nnweb "gmane"
|         (nnweb-type gmane))
|  (nnweb "google"
|         (nnweb-type google)))
`----

Can I provide any additional infos? I would volunteer to spend some time
with testing to get this fixed (before the release, if possible).

Kind regards,
Tassilo