Re: Old messages missing on the present newsgroup

From: Rodolfo Medina
Subject: Re: Old messages missing on the present newsgroup
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 18:43:19 +0200

David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> writes:

>> Because even just "current" news is a huge disk space and bandwidth
>> consumer, so it's standard practice for news servers to only keep
>> around a small amount of recent history (maybe the past month) and
>> expire articles beyond that.  If you have infinite disk space and
>> bandwidth than it's reasonable to archive all of Usenet (hi, Google
>> Groups); if you're only archiving a specific group than the
>> requirements become much more reasonable.

I just want to fetch via gnus some old articles I posted some time ago,
now that I've just really started using Gnus.

David:

Andrzej Adam Filip <anfi@priv.onet.pl> writes:

> Take a look at the group archive:
> http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/msg/45694c47fa0b026a
> subject: backfill of usenet postings
>
> The post quotes:
> info "(gnus)Finding the Parent"

Thanks for your replies.

Andrzej, your indication seems very interesting:
I put in my ~/.gnus.el the stuff reported in the info:

     (setq gnus-refer-article-method
           '(current
             (nnweb "google" (nnweb-type google))))

, then in the nntp+news.gnus.org:gnu.emacs.gnus summary buffer I did 'M-^'
and entered the Message-ID I was looking for; I waited for a while for
gnus to search into google, then the message:

Opening nnweb server on google...done
Contacting host: www.google.com:80
Contacting host: groups.google.com:80
Trying again (2)...
Contacting host: www.google.com:80
Requested article not found
Generating summary...done
Fetched article <97a048c6.0409120237.7ad4c627@posting.google.com>
No such article (may have expired or been canceled)
Contacting host: groups.google.com:80

. Should I give it up and accept the defeat?
But I insist that the article is present in Google archives, at:

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/browse_thread/thread/6bb69dcdf1548e17/10c9d5f223a33d19?q=medina&rnum=4#10c9d5f223a33d19