Re: Problems with `nnweb' mode

From: Andreas Seltenreich
Subject: Re: Problems with `nnweb' mode
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 02:22:27 +0200

Tassilo Horn schrob:

> Andreas Seltenreich <seltenreich@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> It should work again for both google and gmane in the upcoming
>> releases. The current version of No Gnus from CVS works for
>> me. Although, there might still be some value/version combination of
>> mm-url-program which wasn't tested yet.
>
> I've seen your patch at <871wwdb5ew.fsf@gate450.dyndns.org> and couldn't
> believe this was the fix for this problem

Right, it isn't, but that was not the only patch I sent concerning
nnweb :-).

> I updated my NoGnus CVS copy, but Gnus still fetches only empty
> messages.
>
> To get a little more concrete: I tried fetching the message
>
>      <419g22duprrhohcfaf84srcl0bdrljsjnl@4ax.com>
>
> by pressing RET on this message-id. *Messages* says:
>
> ,----[ *Messages* ]
> | Opening nnweb server on google...done
> | No matching articles
> | No such article (may have expired or been canceled)
> `----

Hmm, right, I'm getting the same when mm-url-use-external is nil. The
cause seems to be that there now are two redirects (302 Found). Too
bad mm-url doesn't support redirects when doing internal fetching.

I don't see how one can avoid all redirects, since the last one turns
the message-id into some internal id :-(. So, referring articles by
message-id is basically broken when mm-url-use-external is nil, until
it is taught how to deal with redirects.

> Now I browse groups.google.com and enter the message-id in the search
> field, and google finds the article. The search-string visible in my
> browser's address bar is
>
>     http://groups.google.com/groups?q=+<escaped-message-id>
>
> If I type in the url defined in nnweb.el (id) into my browser and
> replace "%s" with the (escaped) message-id, the result page states:
>
>     "The requested message,
>     <419g22duprrhohcfaf84srcl0bdrljsjnl@4ax.com>, could not be found."

Try again without the angle brackets :-).

> Here are some infos about my system.
>
> With wget (1.10.2) it does not work.
>
> ,----[ C-h v mm-url-program RET ]
> | mm-url-program is a variable defined in `mm-url.el'.
> | Its value is wget
> |
> | Documentation:
> | The url grab program.
> | Likely values are `wget', `w3m', `lynx' and `curl'.
> `----
>
> I tested this, too. (Doesn't work, w3m-0.5.1, emacs-w3m-1.4.4)

Did you set mm-url-use-external to t when testing? If you did to no
avail, then does the following request work? (works for me)

(let ((url

"http://www.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=419g22duprrhohcfaf84srcl0bdrljsjnl@4ax.com&hl=en&dmode=source";)
      (mm-url-use-external t)
      (mm-url-program 'wget))
  (mm-url-insert url t))

> Can I provide any additional infos? I would volunteer to spend some time
> with testing to get this fixed (before the release, if possible).

Hmm, do web groups work for you (G w in the Group Buffer)? They work
for me for both, internal and external fetching.

Thanks for the feedback!
Andreas