Re: IMAP , Sent folder and Gnus

From: Ian Zimmerman
Subject: Re: IMAP , Sent folder and Gnus
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:55:34 -0700

Ian> Hmm yes, it does seem to work.  I wonder how, though?  How does
Ian> Gnus know that this virtual server is the same as my primary one?

Adam> What virtual server?

The archive server.  The manual makes it sound as if you're _defining_
a new virtual server by setting the gnus-message-archive-method variable.

Adam> What is your primary server called, in your configuration?

The server name (Customize calls it "address") is the same, but it has a
whole bunch of options attached to configure TLS.

Ian> Is it keyed by the string address?

Ian> That would mean you couldn't have a TLS and a plaintext connection
Ian> to the same server ...

Adam> Unless you gave them different names, I'd think.

But how would you connect to the _same_ server with different names?
Is the Gnus name not necessarily the DNS name of the machine?

Adam> (I don't really know why you would want to have separate
Adam> connections. It sounded on one of your earlier emails like you
Adam> wanted to _avoid_ multiple connections?)

Yes, but I can imagine it might be useful.  The IMAP server could offer
different groups/mailboxes on the plain and encrypted connections, for
example.

--
Ian Zimmerman
gpg public key: 1024D/C6FF61AD