Re: IMAP , Sent folder and Gnus

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: IMAP , Sent folder and Gnus
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 00:02:56 +0200

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 14:55:34 -0700, Ian wrote:

Adam> What virtual server?

> The archive server.  The manual makes it sound as if you're _defining_
> a new virtual server by setting the gnus-message-archive-method variable.

Ah, ok. I wouldn't have guessed it to be virtual.

Adam> What is your primary server called, in your configuration?

> The server name (Customize calls it "address") is the same, but it has a
> whole bunch of options attached to configure TLS.

Ok, I think it finds it based on the name (so all the options are used,
in your case).

Ian> That would mean you couldn't have a TLS and a plaintext connection
Ian> to the same server ...

Adam> Unless you gave them different names, I'd think.

> But how would you connect to the _same_ server with different names?
> Is the Gnus name not necessarily the DNS name of the machine?

It can be pretty much any string, as far as I know (but then you have to
specify the hostname of the server in a parameter).

The example in 6.5 IMAP in the manual illustrates it:

 * http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_208.html#SEC208

Adam> (I don't really know why you would want to have separate
Adam> connections. It sounded on one of your earlier emails like you
Adam> wanted to _avoid_ multiple connections?)

> Yes, but I can imagine it might be useful.  The IMAP server could offer
> different groups/mailboxes on the plain and encrypted connections, for
> example.

I would think that the ones available by plain text would be a subset of
the ones available by encrypted in any "real" use?

But anyway, I think you could solve this by using different names.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Good car to drive after a war"                              Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk