iruka-devel

Re: [Iruka-devel] Chat dialog.

From: Erwan Loisant
Subject: Re: [Iruka-devel] Chat dialog.
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 13:36:38 +0900

Petr Klyushkin wrote:
 Erwan> Hello Petr.  I had a look at your "return" key management and
 Erwan> I think you are wrong.

 Erwan> - wxTE_PROCESS_ENTER: that means "instead of managing
Erwan> internally the return key, send an event". Erwan> - wxTE_MULTILINE: implicitely include wxTE_PROCESS_ENTER.

 Erwan> What we need is exactly the contrary of what
 Erwan> wxTE_PROCESS_ENTER is. So you should remove it (moreover under
 Erwan> win32 I have an evil warning) and connect your process
 Erwan> enter_enter method to the wxEVENT_TYPE_TEXT_ENTER_COMMAND
 Erwan> event.

I've done it in slightly another way: it now handles wxEVT_CHAR event
looking for WXK_RETURN.  Pressing Ret key will send a message,
pressing C-Ret key will insert a line-break into a message.  Of
course, you can use 'Send' button instead of pressing a key.

Ok, you really want your "enter" key to send messages... I don't like it, since user will mistake between messages mode and chat mode. We need something homogeneous between the two, but we can do it configurable so any user will choose the behaviour he prefers.

More important, the control should not send directly the message. Control could be more complicated than a simple text input (for example changing the text while typing) but sending message should be done be chat window class.

It will not change behaviour but it is important for design. If an other developer (or you, or me in a few month) try to look how message is send he will look in chat window. Sending it directly from text input is really strange.

Sure.  It also would be nice to place an indicator to show
online-status of a interlocutor.

I'll do it using window icon and name.