libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] FSOSS 2015 Accepting Presentation Proposals

From: Sergio Durigan Junior
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] FSOSS 2015 Accepting Presentation Proposals
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 00:22:11 -0400

On Sunday, July 12 2015, Blaise Alleyne wrote:

> Hey LibrePlanet,

Yo,

[ BTW, Bob, I did not forget about your e-mail!  I will reply it soon. ]

> The Free Software and Open Source Symposium is accepting presentation
> proposals
> for the 2015 conference, which will be Oct 29-30, 2015.

Oh, man.  I really cannot believe how unlucky I am.  I will not be in
Toronto on this date.  I was really expecting FSOSS to happen *before*
October 26th (the day I will leave Toronto)...

I'll try to see how much I'd have to pay to postpone my flight to
October 31st, but it's highly unlikely that this will happen.

> http://fsoss.senecac.on.ca/2015/
>
> """
> This year's FSOSS will focus on the past three decades and the amazing changes
> that free software and open source have brought to the world around us. Being
> free and open has enabled constant innovation and new ideas to permeate
> throughout communities everywhere to produce free thinking, free opportunity,
> and free tools that everyone benefits from. FSOSS is focused on thirty years
> of
> those ideals and celebrating that freedom. The two day event will engage
> educators, students, developers, community members, and industry in a showcase
> of the different uses of open source and the different people who are a part
> of
> its ever expanding community.
> """

Seems like a *very* interesting focus...  I really wish I could attend!
Well, let's see...

> This is just a quick message now, but I think we should be considering....
>
> - Presentations that any of us might want to make individually (Sergio
> presented
> on gdb last year, and I spoke about software freedom and net services)

TBH I'm kind of tired of speaking about GDB on every conference I
attend.  If I manage to go to FSOSS this year, I'll want to talk about
something else.  Some of you know about my idea of creating a Free
solution for tax reports on Canada; maybe I could at least expose the
problem and start a brainstorm to solve this?

> - In what way could we be active and present at this event as a group?

I don't remember seeing booths there last year; did I miss something?
If I did, then having a booth at the conference would be the first step,
I think.

Another (obvious) idea is giving a talk about our group there,
explaining where we come from, what's the focus of the group, and what
are our ideas for improving software freedom for our community.  I would
be very interested in giving this talk with you guys, but if I'm not
there, please do it!  :-)

Thanks,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36