libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] FSOSS 2015 Accepting Presentation Proposals

From: Lukas Berk
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] FSOSS 2015 Accepting Presentation Proposals
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 08:49:51 -0400

Hi,

Sergio Durigan Junior <address@hidden> writes:
> On Monday, July 13 2015, Blaise Alleyne wrote:
>> On 13/07/15 12:22 AM, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
>>> On Sunday, July 12 2015, Blaise Alleyne wrote:
[...]
>> accounting/taxes), in terms of niche areas where there is still a pressing
>> need
>> for free software solutions, where we haven't yet or have only recently
>> developed solutions, e.g. form accounting to BIOS software and
>> LibreBoot,
>
> Cool.  Lukas (if he's still reading the list) told me he wanted to buy a
> Libreboot from Gluglug.  It would be awesome to raise awareness about
> these machines.  I am also saving to buy a ThinkPenguim notebook as
> well, but last time I checked they are still coming with proprietary
> BIOS.

/me looks around to see if you were talking to somebody else.  No?  Me?
Uhhhh.  Yes, a Gluglug is on my radar.  Given the variety of topics in
rest of the thread, perhaps it might be worth while to submit a
talk/presentation on a practical guide to using free software in
everyday life.  Identifying common proprietary tools, and how one might
*easily* switch to a libre tool, and why it's important.  It has to
relate to the audience in an obvious way.

[...]
> BTW, another good (and hot) topic would be to discuss the recent SFC x
> VMWare lawsuit, and possible implications.  Karen Sandler (from SFC)
> gave some talks about this topic; we could certainly use a lot of
> material from them.

Tread lightly on such a topic, especially when many lawyers are likely
involved...

Cheers,

Lukas