libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] FSOSS 2015 Accepting Presentation Proposals

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] FSOSS 2015 Accepting Presentation Proposals
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 09:27:59 -0400

On 14/07/15 08:49 AM, Lukas Berk wrote:
> Sergio Durigan Junior <address@hidden> writes:
> [...]
>>> accounting/taxes), in terms of niche areas where there is still a
>>> pressing need for free software solutions, where we haven't yet or have
>>> only recently developed solutions, e.g. form accounting to BIOS software
>>> and LibreBoot,
>>
>> Cool.  Lukas (if he's still reading the list) told me he wanted to buy a
>> Libreboot from Gluglug.  It would be awesome to raise awareness about these
>> machines.  I am also saving to buy a ThinkPenguim notebook as well, but
>> last time I checked they are still coming with proprietary BIOS.
>
> /me looks around to see if you were talking to somebody else.  No?  Me?
> Uhhhh.  Yes, a Gluglug is on my radar.

I'm looking into this too, actually. With a recent hard drive failure, I'm
starting to look at at the Gluglug LibreBoot X200... and maybe with another
stable primary laptop, sending my current ThinkPad X60 in for a Gluglug
LibreBoot install...

But I'm not sure what I'll do at this point, so not sure what I'll be running in
October.

> Given the variety of topics in rest of the thread, perhaps it might be worth
> while to submit a talk/presentation on a practical guide to using free
> software in everyday life.  Identifying common proprietary tools, and how one
> might *easily* switch to a libre tool, and why it's important.  It has to
> relate to the audience in an obvious way.

A practical guide to using free software in everyday life -- I like that! I
think that could be a compelling subject for many people at FSOSS too. Sounds
like it could be a great breadth-first talk...