libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Libreboot x200 vs. ThinkPenguin

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Libreboot x200 vs. ThinkPenguin
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2015 22:48:21 -0400

On 18/07/15 06:57 PM, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
> On Saturday, July 18 2015, Blaise Alleyne wrote:
>> [...] The X200 is a much smaller and more lightweight machine though. It's a
>> 12.1"
>> screen as an X-series ThinkPad. Now... when I bought my last laptop in 2007,
>> went with the T61 for the larger screen. I only inherited my X60 from my mom
>> when she got another laptop. I wouldn't have purchased the smaller X60
>> myself...
>> but having both around, I found myself really gravitating to the X60 more
>> often,
>> being so small and lightweight...
>
> That's indeed another good point, and I've considered that too.
> However, as you may remember, I already have my Acer C720P, which is
> pretty lightweight and perfectly serves the purpose of "mobile
> machine".  I think I can say I'm looking more for a replacement for my
> current "heavy-load" notebook, which weights almost 3 kg...

I've actually been using my X60 as my primary notebook... but I can't tell if
it's because I like the size so much, or because my T61 needed some
upgrades/fixes I was putting off.

>> The X200 lightweight + docking station combo is killer. I have an X60
>> UltraBase
>> docking station that I have set up with my 24" monitor and a KVM switch at
>> home.
>> It's killer to have a small, lighteweight machine to through in my knapsack,
>> and
>> a docking station at my main desk for more screen real estate. Having the X60
>> fall into my hands... I'm not sure I'd go back to a larger machine.
>
> Hah, if I told you that I only started using docking stations last year
> at my job, would you believe me?  :-P
>
> I've never been a fan of docking stations TBH, and now that I live in a
> small apartment without much space for a big monitor I think it'd be
> useless for me, at least until I get more space for my stuff.

The only reason I'm using the X60 Ultrabase is because my mom had bought it, so
it came with the machine when I got it. I have used an external monitor for a
while though... at the office, because we had some extras for that purpose, and
at home, the 24" monitor is actually my studio desktop monitor for my recording
machine, but I put it on a KVM switch so it could double as a second screen for
my primary laptop.

All this to say... like the lightweight machine, I wouldn't have been interested
last time round, but it seems like a nice bonus to me now, especially given that
I had an existing set up.

Also though, docking station not necessary for that... I would "dock" my T61
before just with a KVM switch.

>> [...] And, as I mentioned, being an older ~2008 machine, it's less powerful,
>> but
>> that's not a huge deal for me either... as I'm currently using ~2007 hardware
>> that's a generation or two back (and it's working for me still), so moving
>> to an
>> X200 is an upgrade for me!
>
> The only problem for me, I think, is when I need to compile big projects
> and whatnot.  I'd also have to consider whether it's feasible to
> virtualize stuff in the x200...  I know it's possible, but I'm not sure
> it's something not unpleasant.

This is actually probably something significant, now that I think about it.

I do most of my heavy technical work remotely. Working as a sysadmin or web
developer, I'm usually SSHed into another VPS or some kind of remote server
elsewhere. On my local machine, I'm running IceWeasel, IceDove, maybe an XMPP or
Pump.io client, music, etc., but if I'm running a resource intensive script or
compiling something, it's usually remote...

Though I've also started to use my X60 as a live performance music station,
connected to a new MIDI controller and with KXStudio... it survives that, but I
haven't pushed it too far yet...

You probably have some very different requirements there than I would though.
This old hardware might have been more unpleasant if I were doing more of my
work locally.

>> [...]
>> - once I have at least one other functioning laptop, whether T61 or X200,
>> maybe
>> sending in my X60 for the Libreboot installation service...
>
> Hey, I/we could do this installation (of course, assuming that you are
> willing to take the risks; no problem if you aren't! :-P)!  It would be
> awesome to have this expertise inside the group, huh?

Hmm hmm... maybe! I'm not sure it's worth it for me to do it myself, but as a
"we" I might be willing to take the risk once I have another functioning
machine, and depending on the process.