libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Libreboot x200 vs. ThinkPenguin

From: Sergio Durigan Junior
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Libreboot x200 vs. ThinkPenguin
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 00:46:30 -0400

On Monday, July 20 2015, Blaise Alleyne wrote:

>>> [...] And, as I mentioned, being an older ~2008 machine, it's less
>>> powerful, but
>>> that's not a huge deal for me either... as I'm currently using ~2007
>>> hardware
>>> that's a generation or two back (and it's working for me still), so moving
>>> to an
>>> X200 is an upgrade for me!
>>
>> The only problem for me, I think, is when I need to compile big projects
>> and whatnot.  I'd also have to consider whether it's feasible to
>> virtualize stuff in the x200...  I know it's possible, but I'm not sure
>> it's something not unpleasant.
>>

> This is actually probably something significant, now that I think about it.
>
> I do most of my heavy technical work remotely. Working as a sysadmin or web
> developer, I'm usually SSHed into another VPS or some kind of remote server
> elsewhere. On my local machine, I'm running IceWeasel, IceDove, maybe an XMPP
> or
> Pump.io client, music, etc., but if I'm running a resource intensive script or
> compiling something, it's usually remote...
>
> Though I've also started to use my X60 as a live performance music station,
> connected to a new MIDI controller and with KXStudio... it survives that, but
> haven't pushed it too far yet...
>
> You probably have some very different requirements there than I would though.
> This old hardware might have been more unpleasant if I were doing more of my
> work locally.

Yeah...  Back in Brazil I had a dedicated machine at home to help with
the "heavy work" (though my personal notebook is quite robust as well).
But here I only have the notebook, and no plans to get a desktop in the
near future.  So a good processor plays an important role in my setup,
for sure.

>>> [...]
>>> - once I have at least one other functioning laptop, whether T61 or X200,
>>> maybe
>>> sending in my X60 for the Libreboot installation service...
>>
>> Hey, I/we could do this installation (of course, assuming that you are
>> willing to take the risks; no problem if you aren't! :-P)!  It would be
>> awesome to have this expertise inside the group, huh?
>>

> Hmm hmm... maybe! I'm not sure it's worth it for me to do it myself, but as a
> "we" I might be willing to take the risk once I have another functioning
> machine, and depending on the process.

Awesome :-).  As far as I have heard the procedure is not very
complicated for the supported machines, but I never tried to do it
myself and also never read too much about it.  It will be a pretty good
opportunity to obtain more experience, and if we're successful we can
even "offer this service" in some future event.  But...  baby steps!

Cheers,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36