Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Why contains in nonfree that's not ethical?

From: Milton Krutt
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Why contains in nonfree that's not ethical?
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 04:06:32 -0700

> > People actually do care about privacy a lot.  I've talked to a lot of people
> > outside the free software movement, and some of them don't use facebook, or
> > don't use it as much as they could because of privacy concerns.

Ok, that's true, but Facebook has turned to be almost like a physical neighbour,
and in my original point I said that the "Others" don't care about privacy
UNLESS
they feel threatened by their physical neighbour.

People on FB have real friends and real close people among their FB's friends,
and even tough you set up a fake account you are not very well "hidden" since it
is likely that 90% of people you add as friends will have their real names so it
would be quite easy to infer your identity. Or, it would be like wearing a mask
in a party where everyone is not wearing one, quite eye-catching. Or worse..
you could make big efforts in setting up a fake account and be careful in not
mentioning your real data.. and one day a person you added as friend writes a
post
mentioning your real name, or the place you went last saturday..
Any error can easily bring you to a face-to-face embarassing situation, or, if
not,
at least it makes you worry about what known people could think about you, and
that could be stressful.
FB shares a lot with physical vicinity, so we lie (of course IMO) in the
"physical
neighbour" threat, so it's normal that someone among the Others are worried
about this
threat.

(In any case, they would be worried even in the case that FB switches to free
javascript, so this fear could not be useful to the free software cause)

Bye