Re: lilypond/Documentation/user examples.itely

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: lilypond/Documentation/user examples.itely
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 12:36:09 +0100

On Friday 07 January 2005 11.03, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
> (Normally it's a good idea to read the emails in reverse order
> to avoid answering a question that has already been answered by
> others, but in this case it was a mistake not to have read the
> earlier emails related to the subject.)
>
> Now I realize that you did this to get an example of how to use \tag.
> Still, the problem is that it doesn't really show any advantage (as
> far as I can see). Can't we find a better example where the command
> gives a clearer advantage?

You could e.g. have 2 different editions of the same piece, e.g. one Urtext
and one edited version. You could then use the same files, using tag to mark
the differences.

Also, if there would be a command-line option to select/unselect certain tags,
there would be a clear advantage to use tags for extracting parts. E.g.,
lilypond -usetag viola quartet.ly
could extract the viola part. This approach would result in the need of
fewer .ly files.

This is however just an idea that popped up in my mind right now; I haven't
given it a serious thought. Does it sound like a sensible idea to you?

Erik