Re: Converting ly to musicxml

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Converting ly to musicxml
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 13:36:03 +0200

Am Sonntag, 10. Juli 2011, 12:26:31 schrieb Valentin Villenave:
> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Martin Tarenskeen
>
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I guess the idea was to make it possible to export MusicXML directly from
> > Lilypond (just like midi, png, pdf, and postscript), re-using Lilypond
> > parsing-code that is available anyway? And Scheme is the language that
> > integrates perfectly with Lilypond? That would be better/easier to
> > develop than a separate python tool?
>
> Some early discussions were even more ambitious, and involved
> outputting not only music elements, but LilyPond's formatting
> information as well, by creating a whole xml backend:
> http://code.google.com/p/lilypond/issues/detail?id=665
>
> That being said, Jan's work seems to have already gone a long way

The problem with that approach is that:
1) You have to modify the file you want to export! I'm thinking about some
command-line argument like --xml.
2) You don't have any layout information available. That's like exporting from
ODT to Word via pure text...
And it's simply not possible to later include the layout. You are stuck with
the pure musical information.

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886