Re: [Simulavr-devel] fab feature deprecated

From: Onno Kortmann
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] fab feature deprecated
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 23:27:50 -0800

Hi all,

> - we can't integrate the xml files from WinAVR because of copyright
> - to create a processor isn't so easy because of many variations in
> peripheral components. This also not hold in xml files, so there would
> be the possibility to implement this variation hard in code or accept
> problems connected with that
I have no strong opinion either way on using the original .XMLs, and at
least in the short term don't have to time to update that feature (maybe
someone else does?)
Of course, the idea was to use the original .XMLs as-is. If
converting/extracting info out of them is too dangerous copyright-wise
and/or too much of a hassle for packaging/distribution, sure go ahead
and remove that option.

But IMHO the general approach of having a text-based configuration file
for AVR topologies, even if those files are kept up to date manually, is
still a good idea. I think it is better than having C++ files filled
with what is essentially just declarative configuration data. But I
guess that's arguing about taste :-)

Cheers,

Onno