Re: [Simulavr-devel] fab feature deprecated

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] fab feature deprecated
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 02:32:18 +0100

Am 28.02.2014 20:33, schrieb Michael Hennebry:
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2014, Onno Kortmann wrote:
>
>> But IMHO the general approach of having a text-based configuration file
>> for AVR topologies, even if those files are kept up to date manually, is
>> still a good idea. I think it is better than having C++ files filled
>> with what is essentially just declarative configuration data. But I
>> guess that's arguing about taste :-)
>
> No.  It is not.
> Where to put data, in how many places and amongst
> how much clutter is not just a matter of taste.

To defend Onno a bit, such a file is already in use. It's the one used
for tracing signals into VCD files. It's a single file in an arbitrary
position, you pass a path to it as parameter. See -c and -o parameters
for simulavr.

Extending this file to also hold stuff like CPU frequency or connected
devices (one line each) with an idiot-proof syntax appears to be
plausible. SIMINFO inside the AVR binary would go away, as well as
changes to ELF reading and this shared header file.

Markus

--
Dipl. Ing. (FH) Markus Hitter