Re: installing 1.4.1 on SuSE Linux 6.1 (help re objc?)

From: Catherine Dibble
Subject: Re: installing 1.4.1 on SuSE Linux 6.1 (help re objc?)
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 22:20:07 -0700

hi Marcus and Matt,

>also BTW Marcus, you get a grateful acknowledgement in my thesis. The help you
>provide on this list has been a huge help to me. Thanks!!!

I'll add a hearty second to this!  I expect to be adding similar dissertation
acknowledgements and publications later this year.  :)  You guys walk on
water (and at all hours, no less, thanks Marcus).   So, tell us again where
to send those  contributions, pizzas, and rave reviews?  ;)

Matt, I'm glad to hear this news re GRASS 5.0, as I have a copy sitting
here waiting for its turn later this summer.

For other folks, yes, having a stable Swarm installation on another machine
is an *excellent* idea for critical projects.  I have a very stable RedHat
5.2 on
my main machine.  But unfortunately I am about to leave it behind on the
wrong coast for six weeks, so I have a very strong incentive to get SuSE 6.1
to behave on my laptop.  Luckily, I run dual-boot on my laptop.  Much as I
hate to develop Swarm under Windows, that looks like my fallback for now.
<eeewww -- worth many struggles with SuSE to avoid!  ;)  >

Wrt platform religions, I've been a faithful RedHat fan since version 3-
something.  But I have to admit I like SuSE so far, except wrt Swarm/objc.

Matt, your objc directory was included by default under egcs in 6.0?  Or
did it only appear there after you had recompiled egcs?  There is nothing
there for objc at all in my 6.1 default installation.

I have the same paths too, up *to* the objc -- but nothing whatsoever
wrt objc <sigh>.

Catherine
 Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
 and more violent. It takes a touch of genius--and a lot of
 courage--to move in the opposite direction.   -- Albert Einstein

 Catherine Dibble                           www.econ.ucsb.edu/~cath
 Department of Geography                                               UCSB