Re: installing 1.4.1 on SuSE Linux 6.1 (help re objc?)

From: Jan Kreft
Subject: Re: installing 1.4.1 on SuSE Linux 6.1 (help re objc?)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 08:22:47 +0100 (BST)

Matt and Paul,

sorry for being in another time zone and always late with my replies. But
they aren't very useful anyway ;-)

the default compiler for SuSE depends on what you choose as the frontend
as they call it. The default install will install both gcc and egcs and a
frontend that ensures that egcs is used when you simply say gcc. I think
there is an option to install another frontend that would change this
behaviour. So far, I have always used egcs so maybe gcc could be
deinstalled.

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Matthew Aylward EG201 G219 SL CKR wrote:

> Marcus, Jan, Catherine,
> (and Pauls later mail).
> I didnt't even notice that the compile was using tcl7.6 (I was pretty
> tired last night). Last time I ran this compile it used the 8.0. The
> first thing I am going to do is follow the method I used on SuSE5.1.
> That is to uninstall ALL tcl/tk + blt + expect + tclx ..... etc, then
> compile them from the most recent source into /usr/local. Then do the
> same for the other libraries needed by Swarm, such as libffi ...etc.

I would keep the old Tcl/Tk in the standard place if you also have
programs that need it. And install the new versions in /usr/local.
Apart from that, that's pretty much what I did.

> When installing egcs on SuSE there is a message stating that it cannot
> be reliably used for compiling Linux kernels, hence gcc2.7.2.3 is also
> installed automatically. I think the swarm configure/compile is as
> confused as I am by all this. So I will be more careful with setting up
> the correct paths in the configure options and double check the
> subsequent makefile.

I compiled the kernel with egcs without problems. I had to enable SMP for
my dual pentium machine, I wasn't recompiling the kernel for fun. I think
the warning relates to the old kernel 2.0 versions. But that distinction
might have been lost in the translation from German. Translations always
introduce numerous errors.

Regards, Jan.