Re: installing 1.4.1 on SuSE Linux 6.1 (help re objc?)

From: Matthew Aylward EG201 G219 SL CKR
Subject: Re: installing 1.4.1 on SuSE Linux 6.1 (help re objc?)
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:43:31 +0800

Marcus, Jan, Catherine,
(and Pauls later mail).
I didnt't even notice that the compile was using tcl7.6 (I was pretty
tired last night). Last time I ran this compile it used the 8.0. The
first thing I am going to do is follow the method I used on SuSE5.1.
That is to uninstall ALL tcl/tk + blt + expect + tclx ..... etc, then
compile them from the most recent source into /usr/local. Then do the
same for the other libraries needed by Swarm, such as libffi ...etc.

When installing egcs on SuSE there is a message stating that it cannot
be reliably used for compiling Linux kernels, hence gcc2.7.2.3 is also
installed automatically. I think the swarm configure/compile is as
confused as I am by all this. So I will be more careful with setting up
the correct paths in the configure options and double check the
subsequent makefile.

I am at work on a solaris machine right now so this will be done tonight
(it is 11.40am here).

I see tcl/tk 8.1 is now available. Does Swarm work with this, or should
I stick to 8.0?

Cheers and grats,
Matt

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> MA> -DList=TclObjcList -DTCL_LIBRARY=\"/usr/lib/tcl7.6\"
> MA> -DTK_LIBRARY=\"/usr/X11R6/lib/tk4.2\" -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-import
> MA> -Wno-protocol -Werror -I/usr/X11R6/include -Wno-implicit-int -c
> MA> -fPIC -DPIC tclObjc.m In file included from tclObjc.m:87:
> MA>
> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnu/egcs-2.91.66/include/objc/objc-api.h:381:
> MA> `objc_malloc' redeclared as different kind of symbol
> MA> objc-malloc.h:28: previous declaration of `objc_malloc'
>
> Is HAVE_OBJC_MALLOC defined in the file `swarmconfig.h' in the
> toplevel build directory?  Do you get this:
>
> address@hidden/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/egcs-2.91.66] $ nm libobjc.a | grep
> objc_malloc | grep -v ' U '
> 00000004 D _objc_malloc
> 000000d0 T objc_malloc

I can't test this till I get home.

> ..both from your /usr and /usr/local gcc installs?
>
> I'm not sure, but I wonder if you are inadvertently using your
> /usr/bin/gcc instead of your /usr/local/bin/gcc.  To be sure that the
> configure tests and the build use the same compiler, I usually specify
> the full path explicitly like this:

I think you are right Marcus!!!

--
Matt Aylward: <address@hidden> or <address@hidden>
         Linux Lover - OS for the people by the people.