Re: Make problems

From: pauljohn
Subject: Re: Make problems
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 09:06:24 -0500

Holger Perlt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> thanks for the prompt help.
>
> I did make the three steps (SUSE Linux 7.0)
>
> ./configure
Hm. Interesting. As you saw in the FAQ, for me it requires a
more elaborate configure statement, but it is great to hear this
works for you. I don't recall which swarm edition you were
using, but if this is a recent snapshot and it compiles without
java support, I'm truly surprised.
> make
> make install
>
> and thought to have found no problems. However, there should have
> been some because I met problems in compiling the tutorial examples.
>
> 1. When I compile the hello-world example (subdirectory
> tutorial/hello-world/v02)
> there appear some warnings but the binary is made. After calling hello-world
> warnings are printed again but the control windows etc. appear on screen
> and I can start the program. There are text output lines at the same
> time in the shell window. I suppose that the names (Ejbe, Oblx, ...)
> are not the desired ones?
Yes, you are seeing desired output.

These other things are the warnings that the FAQ mentions
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq/SwarmOnlineFaq.html#2.3.
Harmless, but annoying. Unless you patch gcc, they won't go
away.

> 2. When I compile the bug example (subdirectory tutorial/simpleCBug )
> the compiling process is stopped due to an error. What is the reason?
>
> I attach the shell output also again.

In case others are following this thread, here is the relevant
part of the output:

gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/bug main.o -L/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib/libswarm.so -L/home/perlt/swarm-2.1.1/src/space
-L/home/perlt/swarm-2.1.1/src/analysis
-L/home/perlt/swarm-2.1.1/src/simtoolsgui -L/home/perlt/
swarm-2.1.1/src/simtools -L/home/perlt/swarm-2.1.1/src/random
-L/home/perlt/swarm-2.1.1/src/tkobjc
-L/home/perlt/swarm-2.1.1/src/tclobjc
-L/home/perlt/swarm-2.1.1/src/objectbase
-L/home/perlt/swarm-2.1.1/sr
c/activity -L/home/perlt/swarm-2.1.1/src/defobj
-L/home/perlt/swarm-2.1.1/src/collections -L/home/perlt
/swarm-2.1.1/src/misc -L/home/perlt/swarm-2.1.1/libobjc
-L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib
-L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-suse-linux/2.95.2/
/usr/local/lib/libspace.so /usr/local/lib/libanalysis.so
/usr/local/lib/libsimtoolsgui.so /usr/local/lib/libsimtools.so
/usr/local/lib/librandom.so
/usr/local/lib/libtkobjc.so/usr/local/lib/libtclobjc.so
/usr/local/lib/libobjectbase.so /usr/local/lib/libactivity.so
/usr/local/lib/libdefobj.so /usr/local/lib/libcollections.so
/usr/local/lib/libmisc.so/usr/local/lib/libobjc.so -lgcc -l
BLT24 -ltk8.3 -ltcl8.3 -lXpm -lpng -lz -lX11 -lm -ldl
/usr/local/lib/libswarm.so /usr/local/lib/libobjc.so
-L/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-suse-linux/2.95.2/ -lgcc
/usr/local/lib/libobjc.so-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/loc
al/lib
-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/X11R6/lib
main.o: file not recognized: File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bug] Error 1

Hmm. That's a real puzzler! It is almost as if main.o was
compiled on a different machine.  I've run intot two problems
like that.

1) sometimes files are saved on Windows PCs. Most of the time
Unix systems can use them, sometimes not, I don't know why. In
emacs, you can edit a file, and do M-x
set-buffer-file-coding-system (RET) undecided-unix and then save
to remove any extraneous characters inserted by a microsoft OS.
It is not always necessary, but sometimes!

2) I've gotten an error like that if I download an app that is
compiled on unix, and then edit a few files on a windows system,
and try to remake it on windows. Obviously, the *.o files from 2
operating systems don't work together.  I'd try "make clean" or
"rm *.o" and try the build again, just to see what's up. From
the formatting of your shell.dat file, I  would have guessed you
are on a windows machine because the end of lines have the ^M,
which usually signals that "extra Microsoft stuff".  Maybe the
experts know other things.  Also, just for diagnostics, try to
compile the heatbugs program and see if it runs.

> Holger

Dept. of Political Science
http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn